Ahhh. Its July. There is no arguing that we are smack dab in the middle of summer.
I love the possibilities of summer and it never seems to last long enough. Sure, its unbearably hot outside, I don’t want to turn the oven on, and there’s nothing good on TV. Don’t worry about it, there’s still fun to be had!
Today I had my feet resting in an ice cold kiddie pool, reading a book and working on my tan. The kids were splashing around and picking out the best landscaping rocks from the front of our house. I plan to make dinner on the stove top rather than turning the entire oven on (yay for skillet lasagna!). Sure its 800 million degrees outside, but I’ll take that over 30 below any day.
Perhaps you are lucky enough to live near a beach or lake. You might even own a boat. Well aren’t you awesome. No seriously, I mean that. I think you’re great and we should be friends. I promise to bring brie on your boat.
A simple Mexican dinner might be just the thing to get you through this heat. Spend the day on your boat, come home, crack open a can of pinto beans, toss them with some fresh and crunchy vegetables and stuff them in a corn tortilla. Mix up this filling and flavorful cheese dip in just a matter of minutes and drizzle it over the top. Instant summer dinner!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 12 ounces white american cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- ¼ - ⅔ cup milk
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro, minced
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and jalapeno to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3-5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add both the cheeses and ¼ cup of the milk. Whisk or stir until completely melted. Stir in the tomato and cilantro. Add additional milk gradually as necessary to achieve desired consistency. Serve immediately.