This might be the best thing I’ve ever eaten.
That’s a pretty heavy, possibly over used statement, I know. A phrase you might expect to be reserved for cake, cake, and more cake. So maybe this is just the best non-cake thing I’ve ever eaten. Still not a bad title. I just need you to know that you absolutely need to try this!
Pesto is my summer jam. Except when jam is my summer jam. Oh words, don’t fail me now.
Pesto can be any combination of cheese, nuts, leaves, and olive oil. This makes it perfect summer fare because you can pick the leaves right out of your garden or farmer’s market and you don’t have to heat anything up.
I highly recommend buying the pre-shelled pistachios here. You’re trying to make dinner, not control your snacking portions. Give your fingers a break and dive right in. You could mix up your greens by using arugula, kale, or spinach, but I like the fresh mix of parsley and basil.
Cas and I could not stop eating this straight off the spoon. We were lucky we had any left for dinner. I’m excited to share a great meal using this pesto with you next week, and hopefully many more to come. In the mean time toss it with veggies, spread it on pizza, or stuff it in your sandwich. Now!
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 10 large basil leaves, torn
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley, torn
- 1 garlic clove
- ⅓ cup finely grated pecorino roman cheese
- ⅓-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Place pistachios, basil, parsley, garlic, and cheese in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the nuts are coarsely chopped. With the motor running, stream in olive oil until it reaches your desired consistency. Add the salt and blend once more. Toss with pasta or vegetables, spread on pizza or a sandwich, or refrigerate until ready to use. Fresh pesto is best eaten within three days.