It seems every time I’m pregnant I go through a serious phase of craving barbecue sauce. It usually only lasts a few days, during which I eat little else, and then its gone.
This is a great variation from traditional pizza. Its just as easy but offers up flavors that are a world apart.
The recipe below makes two pizzas, because they’re that good and you’re going to want more. If you have a small family or are watching your weight feel free to cut this in half and you will still have one delicious pizza.
Enjoy this with some freshly cut pineapple or ears of sweet corn for a perfectly balanced meal.
- 2 pounds whole wheat pizza dough
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's Original)
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Spray two large baking sheets with cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough evenly and roll or stretch it into two rounds or rectangles. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets.
- Spread the barbecue sauce evenly over both pizzas. Do the same with the chicken, red onion, and cheese.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until the crust is crisp and the cheese is melted and just beginning to brown.