These Black Bean Patties are a simple yet delicious meatless meal!
Things that are hard to believe:
Someone let my husband and I buy a house. Don’t they know that we’re, like, seventeen? We’re totally responsible and all, but seriously we couldn’t possibly be considered grown ups capable of paying back hundreds of thousands of dollars.
I’m STILL pregnant. I’ve only been pregnant for, oh, the last four years. I’ve been doing squats every day hoping that either 1.) The baby will just fall out or 2.) I will become super strong, capable of pushing the baby out through sheer will. Then I eat a giant scoop of yogurt with chocolate chips in it so I can feel like I’m being healthy and eat away my crazy pregnant emotions at the same time.
You’ve never eaten a bean burger. Or maybe you’ve eaten a bean burger and didn’t like it. I don’t believe you. You don’t have to be a vegetarian to enjoy the rich, filling, flavorful world of bean burgers. I’ve been making them like crazy lately, in every combination imaginable. Some are better than others, and these black bean patties really take the cake.
I call these black bean patties and not burgers because I’ve never eaten them on a bun alongside french fries, but its semantics really. I like them best topped with salsa, sour cream, avocado and lime alongside a bed of brown rice. The whole thing becomes super healthy and indulgent at the same time. Its the dinner version of yogurt with chocolate chips in it. No, seriously.
This is a sticky mixture. If you’re having trouble with the bean mixture sticking to your hands while forming the patties, moisten your hands with cold water before working with it.
My kids go back and forth on liking these because of the chili powder in them. Three tablespoons is not overwhelming, in my opinion, for the amount of patties you get. Feel free to experiment with flavors your family enjoys, omitting the chili powder entirely if that’s their boring preference. I have also made a 3/4 version of this recipe before, setting aside the extra beans, cheese and shredded carrots for my babies to enjoy in all their plain glory.
Are you following along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram? If those aren’t your thing you can subscribe to The Live-In Kitchen to have new posts delivered straight to your email.
These black bean patties are full of protein and veggies, and pair perfectly with rice!
- 30 ounces canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Olive oil
- Place an oven rack on the highest position and preheat the broiler on high. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mash the beans with a fork or potato masher. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well with a fork or your hands. Shape into twelve patties and place on the baking sheet, working in batches if necessary. Brush both sides with olive oil. Broil for 3-4 minutes per side until crispy and cooked through.
- Serve with avocado, lime, sour cream, and salsa if desired.