This Leftover Mashed Potato Cheesy Vegetarian Hash is the best way to use up leftover mashed potatoes with the addition of crispy cheese, veggies and a fried egg.
I’m a huge potato fan. I think it’s in my blood.
My husband and I both come from Norwegian families where potatoes are as common on the table as butter or salt. We even make lefse every year, which is basically a tortilla made out of potatoes. Potatoes don’t just hold a place on our holiday table though, I make some sort of potato at least once a week.
Mashed potatoes have been my go-to lately, especially when they’re this easy. What about that little bit of leftover mashed potatoes, though? There’s not quite enough to serve everyone at another meal, but too much to just throw out. This is where my leftover mashed potato cheesy vegetarian hash comes in.
Mashed potatoes for breakfast might seem a little crazy, but we’ve already accepted hash browns and American fries as breakfast fare, so let’s give the mashers a shot, shall we?
This is one of those clean out the fridge kind of recipes. All the little leftover bits you have sitting around can make their way in there to make a healthy-ish, tasty, cheesy breakfast/brunch/lunch. There are some serious day after Thanksgiving options if you want to throw a little cranberry sauce, stuffing, or turkey in there.
This serves just one, but is easily multiplied and is an easy recipe to customize. Here are a few more options:
- Use any vegetables you have on hand such as roasted garlic, cooked broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, or kale
- Use any cheese you like such as cheddar, gorgonzola, or an Italian blend
- Mix and match for different flavor profiles. Go Mexican with cheddar, peppers, and a bit of salsa, or Greek with feta, roasted peppers, spinach, and olives.
- Serve alongside your favorite eggs
- Serve with sausage links or add crumbled bacon for a non-vegetarian option
- Top with a drizzle of sriracha or a few dashes of hot sauce
Are you following along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram? If those aren’t your thing you can subscribe to The Live-In Kitchen to have new posts delivered straight to your email.
This cheesy hash is the best way to use up leftover mashed potatoes, especially when topped with a runny fried egg!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 handful of leafy greens such as spinach
- About 1 cup leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 handful cheese such as gruyere, mozzarella, feta, or Monterey jack
- 1 fried egg optional
Heat olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is beginning to soften, 5-7 minutes.
Add a handful of leafy greens and stir until wilted, usually less than one minute.
Add the mashed potatoes and break up into an even layer if cold. Allow to cook until heated through, scraping the bottom of the pan and flipping every few minutes.
Add the cheese and continue to cook, breaking up, scraping, and flipping the potatoes every few minutes, until the potatoes and cheese have formed a brown crust throughout. Transfer to a plate, season with salt and pepper and top with a fried egg if desired.