This Pesto and Oven Roasted Tomato Bruschetta is a great summer appetizer or light lunch!
Can we take a little break from wedding desserts?
I need a detox and I’m guessing you do too. Let’s have a light yet satisfying dinner.
Whole wheat baguettes are slightly nutty, somewhat good for you, and no less satisfying than their white sisters. Pesto can be homemade or store bought. Bright, end of season tomatoes and tangy Parmesan cheese tie it all together.
This can be an appetizer or a simple supper when paired with a salad or other vegetables. The colors are beautiful and perfect for Christmas (but let’s not go there yet).
Forgive me that this is barely a recipe. Quantities and time aren’t as important as taste and appearance. Use your own judgment in how much pesto you like. Use your eyes to tell you how toasty your bread is. You can have a fresh, simple food if only you try! And then we can eat cookies.
Are you following along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram? If those aren’t your thing you can subscribe to The Live-In Kitchen to have new posts delivered straight to your email.
Creamy pesto and roasted tomatoes make this bruschetta a great summer appetizer or light lunch!
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole wheat baguette , sliced
- 1 clove garlic , halved
- Parmesan cheese , thinly shaved
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Place the tomatoes on a sheet pan and drizzle with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until the tomatoes begin to collapse and release some of their juices, about 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler to high and arrange an oven rack to the highest position.
- On another baking sheet, arrange baguette slices. Drizzle each side lightly with olive oil. Broil, flipping once, until the baguette slices are lightly toasted. Remove from the oven and immediately rub each slice with the cut side of the garlic.
- To prepare the bruschetta, top each slice of baguette with a thick layer of pesto, a few roasted tomatoes, and a few shavings of Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.