I’m gonna go way out on a limb and say that this salad tastes just like pizza. It even smells just like pizza. It has all the elements of a pizza except you’re also eating a ton of leafy greens and feeling darn good afterwards.
Consider this pizza salad a detox of sorts. Maybe you want to eat it before the big Thanksgiving meal, or the day after. It will fill your body with healthy, whole foods that are full of fiber and vitamins. It’s not too hard to throw together which is perfect if you’re tired of cooking.
How can we achieve such culinary magic that allows salad to taste like pizza? Fresh mozzarella pearls give you that fresh cheese taste in easy to portion spheres. Whole grain bread is toasted and rubbed with garlic which fills the whole room with that pizzeria aroma. Finally it’s topped with an herby balsamic dressing that seems purely Italian.
This salad serves two with more than enough dressing to go around. Serve the dressing on the side and dip your fork in it prior to stabbing a bite to cut down on calories. You can store any leftover dressing in an airtight container for several days at room temperature.
Are you following along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram? If those aren’t your thing you can subscribe to The Live-In Kitchen to have new posts delivered straight to your email.
You can still enjoy your favorite pizza flavors in this healthy salad!
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 8-10 basil leaves, torn into bite sized pieces
- 14 Kalamata olives
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 20 fresh mozzarella pearls
- 8 small slices shaved Parmesan cheese
- 2 slices whole grain, no sugar added bread, such as Ezekiel bread
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Heat olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to burst and brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- While the tomatoes are cooking, assemble the dressing. Combine all ingredients in a mason jar or small bowl and shake or whisk until thoroughly combined.
- In a large bowl, toss arugula, spinach, basil, olives, onion, mozzarella, and cooled tomatoes. Divide between two plates.
- Toast the bread, then rub each warm slice with the cut side of the garlic. Cut the bread into cubes and place cubes and Parmesan cheese on top of the plated salad. Serve with small cups of dressing.