1. I just realized the other day that I’ve been putting my hands in my food photos a lot more than I used to, especially on Instagram. I know a lot of people get weird about nail care and handling food, so I’m wondering – are my hands totally freaking anybody out? I am completely anti-manicure, I just keep my nails trimmed and wash my hands a million times a day, so I think they look pretty good, but if they’re grossing anybody out I would totally stop flaunting them!
2. I took the three big kids to a play the other day. They did three Eric Carle books with puppets, which, can you still call it a play if it’s puppets? Or is it then a puppet show? It was a little slow and boring, but I’m trapped in a world of constant activity, screens, and multi-tasking, so it was probably good for me to sit in the semi-dark watching a caterpillar crawl around for an hour.
3. After the play I took the kids out for Indian food. This is one of my favorite things to do with them, especially Strummer. I never liked any food as a kid, so I just get the biggest kick out of him with his chicken korma. Also, the restaurant we went to, I just want to put in my pocket and take home. Everything is SO GOOD. They do a lunch buffet which is awesome because it lets you try all the different things. That way if you don’t know Indian food very well, you don’t have to just guess and order something and potentially be grossed out. They also had a crockpot full of gulab jamun. A CROCKPOT. I love these people.
4. It has been in the 50s and 60s here for the past week which is exactly what we all needed. I’ve been out running, Jeron has been going on motorcycle rides, and the kids are enjoying this one brief moment where it is neither too hot nor too cold for them to be out on the playground. They even asked to play in the pool the other day, which I considered, but with it being 60 degrees (and them not owning swimsuits that fit) figured I should probably say no. If it snows again I might cry.
5. While out on one of my runs I stopped at a Little Free Library down the street. Do you have these where you live? They’re fantastic because you can take a book or leave a book, although I admit to taking way more than I leave. On this particular day someone had unloaded their entire collection of A Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I figured I would be polite and just grab the first one to take home to Lola and see if she liked it. She finished it THAT DAY and loved it so much, so I stopped again the next day. And wouldn’t you know, the rest of the books were gone! Someone came and snatched them all. We were all super disappointed, that’s probably the last time I be polite at the free library.
6. It turns out Wiley will eat just about anything as long as it keeps me from eating it. I made a grain bowl the other day and mixed in a bunch of sriracha, so I was hesitant to feed her any. She threw such a fit though that I finally gave in (great parenting there) and she just kept coming back for more. Is it bad to give a baby sriracha? Like, obviously, she’s fine, but there just seems to be something wrong with it, right?!
7. I watched Arrival the other night, which I had heard great things about. I did really like it, but already had the final twist figured out way before the reveal.
8. All the good tv is back and I’m loving the options. I’m loving the new season of Girls so far, with the exception of that weird cabin scene. Seriously, what was that music? We’ve also been looking forward to Crashing for a few months, but I think it gave me stress nightmares, which is just ridiculous. The Walking Dead is not nearly as good as it used to be but I’m hanging in there. I’m also loving Last Week Tonight with John Oliver! So much truth.
9. I want so badly to get out to a food blog conference this spring. I was going back and forth between Everything Food Conference and Indulge Conference, but it’s hard to justify the cost of either. Flights, hotels, and conference tickets really add up! If you’re going to either you need to let me know so I can make an informed decision and be swayed to most definitely go.
10. Thank you for all your kind words and support with the launch of Forkified. I’m excited about it and I love seeing other people getting excited too! Also now that it’s live that means I have more time to get recipes in front of your face, so we all win!