These Vegan Zucchini Brownies have the best taste and texture, you’d never know they’re full of vegetables!
I used to be as skeptical as the next girl about veggies in my baked goods.
The church picnic is serving carrot cake? That’s not cake. The neighbor brought over freshly baked zucchini bread? I see those green flecks in there, don’t be trying to trick me into eating your salad.
But guys. I’m converted. Not only can veggies be hidden inside baked goods, but they can also be really GOOD. Like, OMG these brownies I can’t stop eating them and I don’t know what’s happening in my life right now. What if I’ve been wrong about other things? What if I’m actually really good at singing and The Bachelor is the best show ever?? Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
I shared a recipe for zucchini brownies a couple of years ago, but have updated it slightly because you have to make it in an 8×8 pan. Which is totally dumb because I hate it when a brownie recipe calls for an 8×8 pan, I want my 9×13 inches of brownie! But. We’re expanding our horizons here. We’re putting zucchini in dessert and baking it up TALL in this little pan. That means more fudgy goodness in every somewhat-guiltless bite. If you really want to make a skinny little brownie, head to the original post to see how to pull that off.
These brownies just so happen to be vegan. Of course if this is really important to you you’ll want to make sure the sugar you’re using is vegan (believe it or not, not all of it is). And if you’re not vegan? Don’t let the label deter you. These will be the fudgiest most indulgent brownies you’ve ever eaten.
I actually prefer them as they age. That makes them sound moldy. What I mean is, they get even better on day two. Stick some in the freezer and prepare to have your mind blown. Have I mentioned how chocolatey awesome awesome these are? Awesome.
Are you following along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram? If those aren’t your thing you can subscribe to The Live-In Kitchen to have new posts delivered straight to your email.
These thick brownies are the best vegan treat you'll ever eat!
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups shredded zucchini lightly drained of excess moisture
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Coat a 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine sugar, oil, and flour until the mixture resembles wet sand. Turn the mixer to low and add cocoa, zucchini, vanilla, salt, and baking soda. Mix until well combined. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs clinging.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares and serve.
If after mixing your batter still seems dry and sandy, you've removed too much liquid from your zucchini. You can bake as-is and get a still delicious but kind of weird treat, or you can add water a few table spoons at a time until a thick and creamy batter is achieved.