Alternate names for these cookies:
Almost Almond Joy Cookies
Island Chocolate Chip Cookies
Clean the Cupboards Cookies
I made these cookies on a whim, using up random ingredients I had in my cupboard. I didn’t feel like I could quite call them Almond Joy cookies without having actual shredded coconut and milk chocolate. I only had coconut oil and semisweet chips, so there is a hint of the exotic without being quite there.
I’ve used coconut oil before and recently had the opportunity to try Tropical Traditions’ Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil. Let me tell you, it smells heavenly. When I take the lid off the jar I’m instantly transported to my parent’s deck in 1993 when my mom, sister and I would slather on coconut scented tanning oil and bake ourselves crispy for hours in the sun, ensuring that we would be concerned about skin cancer for years to come. It is tropical and intoxicating.
Coconut oil can be used in place of other fats in recipes. It melts at a very low temperature compared to butter, so if your house is very warm it might be a clear oil. If its colder where you are, chances are it will be a firm, white substance like you see below.
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together coconut oil and both sugars until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and combine thoroughly. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix until incorporated. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to stir in the chocolate chips and almonds.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool slightly on the baking sheet before removing to a rack to cool completely.
Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product.