It’s definitely getting too cold to go out side and exercise, so that means it’s time to start eating healthy! And by healthy I mean warm comforting foods like pan fried butternut squash pasta and corn and sweet pepper quesadillas. There should always be a little cheese in your healthy eating.
Today we’re actually going to take a break from cheese (I know, kill me now) and make something straight up savory and satisfying and yes even healthy. Egg rolls are my favorite thing at a Chinese restaurant, with the crispy wrapper and tender filling. But the deep fried business? Not so great. And if there’s pork? I don’t even.
We’re gonna bake these suckers to mimic that perfect crunch without all the oil. We’re also stuffing them full of shrimp for healthy protein and cabbage because, can you believe I like cabbage? Whenever people talk about cabbage I’m like, “Gross!” and whenever I eat cabbage I’m like, “GIVE ME ALL THE CABBAGE.”
Serve these shrimp egg rolls alongside brown rice and steamed veggies so you don’t have to feel bad about snuggling under a blanket watching Twin Peaks on Netflix (ummm yeah, we need to talk about that) instead of running outside in the frosty cold. Seriously, I’m not running if there’s frost. It’s a safety hazard.
While you’re eating healthy, don’t forget to enter the Dreamfields giveaway! Healthy pasta, yeah!
If you make this recipe, be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Baked Shrimp Egg Rolls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for brushing
- ¼ head green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked shrimp
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the cabbage, onion, and carrot and cook until softened and translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, scallion, shrimp and soy sauce. Cook another 2 minutes and remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble the egg rolls, lay one egg roll wrapper out in front of you in a diamond shape. Spoon about one tablespoon into the center of the wrapper. Fold up the bottom corner, tucking it in tightly around the filling, then fold in the sides. With your finger, dab a small amount of water on the top corner of the wrapper and roll the whole thing up to seal. Place egg rolls seam side down on the prepared baking sheet. Spray or lightly brush the egg rolls with olive oil.
- Bake egg rolls in the oven for 30 minutes or until crispy and beginning to brown.