Whenever I’m knee deep in things like cheesecake, I always crave something green.
I’m busy busy busy making wedding desserts, leaving little time for dinner and a real craving for something that doesn’t smell like sugar. These balsamic and sun-dried tomato chicken sandwiches are both easy and satisfying with their savory dressing coating bright leaves of arugula.
These sandwiches are loaded with flavor, fiber and protein. The arugula and garlic are slightly spicy while the balsamic vinegar and sun-dried tomatoes give it a bit of tang. Use rotisserie chicken to cut down on prep time. If for some reason I only have sun-dried tomatoes that are not packed in oil, I just add a slight drizzle of olive oil to the mix.
Sandwiches are classic lunch fare. Since we generally eat leftovers, peanut butter sandwiches, or salads for lunch, I like to mix things up by making sandwiches for supper every now and then. A hearty sandwich with some fresh fruit or crunchy carrots can be a really nice meal at the end of a hot day. Are we still having hot days? I saw Christmas decorations out at Hobby Lobby the other day, sooo I might be confused.
Balsamic and Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Sandwich
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil,, drained
- 3 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic,, minced
- Coarse kosher salt
- 4 cups arugula
- 4 whole wheat kaiser rolls
- 4 slice provolone cheese
- 1 pound chicken breast,, cooked and shredded
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sun-dried tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Let the dressing rest for a few minutes to allow the tomatoes to absorb some of the liquid. Add the arugula and toss with your hands to coat.
- Cut the kaiser rolls in half and top evenly with the provolone cheese, chicken, and arugula mixture.