I’m not usually one to use a box mix in baking. I just appreciate knowing exactly what’s going into my food. It’s certainly not because box mixes aren’t delicious. On the contrary! Box mixes have got it going on and they know it.
I’m also not usually one to waste food.
Around Christmas time my church hands out boxes of cake mix to the kids in the nursery so they can make a birthday cake for Jesus. It’s a cute idea, but there’s no way I’m going to make a whole cake when there’s peanut butter blossoms and caramels to be eaten.
I usually bring the treats I make to share at church and cake doesn’t travel that well, so I went searching for a few recipes that would use up these mixes in a more portable way.
One easy recipe was right on the box. You’ll see my funfetti cookies sometime in the weeks to come. So cute and fun!
Today I’m sharing these gooey triple chocolate cake bars. Dark chocolate. Semisweet chocolate. White chocolate. Triple chocolate! I call them cake because they use the boxed cake mix, but they really have the consistency of a brownie with the taste of an Oreo cookie. It’s a good thing.
Gooey Triple Chocolate Cake Bars
- 1 package dark chocolate cake mix
- 1 stick butter
- 1 egg
- 14 ounces canned sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 9×13 baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, butter and egg. Press mixture evenly into prepared pan. Cover with both chocolate chips and drizzle condensed milk evenly over the top.
- Bake approximately 23 minutes or until the top has cooked evenly.
- Let cool 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edges to loosen them from the foil. Let cool completely, then lift the foil to remove from the pan and cut into squares.