This Salmon Salad is super easy and so good for you!
Can I welcome you inside my crazybrain for a minute?
I’m afraid if I tell you how strange I am you may never come back. On the other hand, my quirks might make me interesting enough that day after day you’ll find yourself saying, “What’s that crazy girl up to now? I need to know!”
So here’s the thing – I don’t eat dressing on my salad. I try to eat salad at least a couple of times a week, usually as an accompaniment to round out a delicious pasta dish. I’ve never been a huge fan of dressings in general, usually opting for ranch or Italian. I did balsamic dressing for a long time, and still will once in a while. I think I stopped putting dressing on altogether when I was pregnant and dressing just didn’t taste right and made me gag. I’ve kept it up because, believe it or not, I like it dry! To be fair, I’m not eating it totally dry. I’ll usually combine it with a bite of pasta, pizza, or whatever I”m eating it with. Its kind of like ravioli flavored salad.
While I may prefer my salad dry, a little fat can actually help your body absorb the nutrients in salad. Since I don’t often keep salad dressing in the house it’s good to know how to deal with a dry salad situation in a pinch. Enter this lazy lady salmon salad. The backbone is basically a deconstructed vinaigrette.
Along these lazy lines, feel free to substitute or add whatever you have on hand to make your salad. No almonds? Use walnuts. No salmon? Use chicken or shrimp. Add diced avocado, crumbled feta, or salty capers if they suit you. The whole idea is to get some healthy fats, protein, and veggies into your body and keep you full until your next (probably pasta) meal.
I wonder if anyone will eat dinner at my house now that they know there won’t be salad dressing? Oh, the mashed potatoes won’t have gravy either. Flour Fat Water? Nothankyouplease. I do have three varieties of honey though, soooo… there’s that?
Are you following along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram? If those aren’t your thing you can subscribe to The Live-In Kitchen to have new posts delivered straight to your email.
Lazy Lady Salmon Salad
- 2 fresh Atlantic salmon filets
- Olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package romaine hearts, chopped or packaged salad mix
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup raw almonds
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat your broiler to high and adjust the oven rack to the second from the top position. Place a baking or cooling rack on a baking sheet and arrange salmon filets on top. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place salmon in the oven and let cook until it is easily flaked with a fork and has turned an opaque pink throughout. I like mine a little crispy on top and it took about 20 minutes to cook perfectly. It will continue to cook a little after you take it out of the oven, so you may want to cut back on the cooking time slightly. Allow the salmon to rest while you assemble the rest of the salad.
- In a large bowl combine chopped romaine hearts, cucumber, and almonds. Top with salmon and lemon juice and drizzle lightly with olive oil. This will make about four servings.