Penne with Vodka Sauce is a family favorite that’s quick enough for a weeknight meal!
Can we talk about favorites?
I shared my favorite things with you a few weeks back. Certainly nothing has changed there. I’m also working on a favorite things in the kitchen post for you, which I’m pretty excited about. (Spoiler) Avocados are a current favorite. I’ve been eating at least one every day. On top of however many my husband and kids eat during the week I look like a crazy person in the check out line of the grocery store with my 20 pound bag of avocados.
Jessica, Lindsay, and John and Dana are current favorites. I’m talking, like, serious “wish I were you” all out blog crushes.
This dish is an absolute favorite at our house. If the thought of vodka in your pasta puts you off, don’t worry. The alcohol simmers off leaving just the flavor behind. The sauce has a rich, silky, creamy texture that is brightened up by the fresh basil at the end. Freshly grated Parmesan cheese is the obvious and perfect addition.
What are some of your current favorites?
Penne with Vodka Sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion,, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves,, finely minced
- 28 ounces canned whole plum tomatoes,, drained and chopped
- ¼ cup vodka
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 pound penne
- 12 basil leaves,, chopped
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until just beginning to color, about 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, vodka, and crushed red pepper. Simmer briskly for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Stir the heavy cream into the tomato mixture and heat through. Add basil leaves and season with salt and black pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan.
- Drain the pasta and toss it with the sauce. Top with additional Parmesan cheese if desired.
We, too, have been going through avocados like crazy! I’m so happy that my husband and kids love them as much as I do. In facts, one of the meals my kids request often is a pasta with avocado sauce (from the Oh She Glows blog).