If you were to take a peek in my house you might think that I keep it unbearably cold. My kids have insisted on wearing winter hats and mittens all day long even if we never go outside. They look like they must be freezing to death when, in reality, they’ve got some seriously sweaty hair going on under those hats.
Also, when I try to actually bundle them up to go outside they run and scream like I’m wielding a knife. Riddle me that.
These cookies are sweaty hair under a hat (except not gross). They are a healthy little raw cookie that my kids think are unbelievable treats. Don’t be fooled by the commercials, packaged Nutella is not great for you and should be consumed in moderation, but a tiny smear between two protein packed cookies can seem really luxurious.
These cookies are great by themselves, but of course I felt the need to add some chocolate. If you haven’t used Nutella before there are a few things you should know. Its best at room temperature and should not be refrigerated or frozen. The cookies are also very soft at room temperature and are best eaten straight from the freezer. Because of this its best to assemble the sandwich cookies as you wish to eat them rather than ahead of time. Perhaps a better food blogger would have figured out a way to store them at the same temperature, but I’m just eating what tastes good.
For the record, its 72 degrees in here.
Raw Walnut Shortbread Sandwich Cookies
- 2 cups raw walnuts
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut,, finely shredded
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of coarse kosher salt
- Place walnuts, coconut, honey, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and process until a granular, moist dough forms, about 1 minute.
- Carefully remove the blade from the food processor. Form dough into one inch balls, place on a parchment lined baking sheet, and press down with the palm of your hand to slightly flatten the cookies. Place the sheet in the freezer for 30 minutes until firm. Transfer to a tightly sealed container and store in the freezer until ready to serve (up to 3 months).
- When you are ready to eat a sandwich cookie, remove two cookies from the freezer. Smear an even layer of Nutella on one cookie and top with another. Eat immediately.