1. I took my kids to a new park a few weeks ago and when we got out of the car we noticed an adorable cat sleeping in the driveway across the street. It continued sleeping there while we played until the owners came out and announced to their neighbors that it was, in fact, dead. They proceeded to put it in a box and dig a hole right next to the driveway where it died, all while my kids are squealing with laughter and running around. Sorry, dead cat folks.
2. I’ve been loving Dana of Minimalist Baker’s beauty tips in her Instagram stories because her skin always looks ah-mazing. I’ve been dabbling with using apple cider vinegar as a facial toner and while it does seem to do amazing things for my skin, I’m not sure I can handle the smell. Maybe worth it??
3. I found the episode of You Made It Weird featuring Dr. Joel Fuhrman really interesting. So basically, go listen to it and let’s discuss!
4. The kids finished up their summer round of swimming lessons last week. They improved so much this year. I’ve spent many years before this stressing out about how much they hated swimming and never wanted to learn because it dashed all of my dreams of what it meant to have kids in the summer AND it totally freaked me out that they would drown. Just let this be a word of encouragement that everyone learns at their own pace and now they are thriving and loving every minute of the water!
5. Cookie dough hummus – is this a thing we’re doing? I think it freaks me out. I mean… it’s chickpeas…
6. I’ve been mentioning elsewhere that we had some flood damage around our house a few weeks ago. This has resulted in a drastic reduction of campfires in the evenings. Add that to the fact that the high was like 65 degrees yesterday and I’m full on freaking out that summer is slipping through my fingers.
7. Speaking of freak outs – homeschool. We’re still planning to do it this year but I’m having the hardest time wrapping my head around how we’re going to get it done. The hardest part is all the decisions – curriculum, extracurriculars, and the organization of our day. I need a brownie.
8. While we’re on brownies, I made my Vegan Zucchini Brownies the other day while trying to make a video to share with you, and I totally flubbed the recipe! I squeezed too much water out of my zucchini and ended up with a very dry batter. I baked them anyways (should have just added water) and they turned out weird, but still pretty delicious. It was kind of like they had a streusel on top, but were still really fudgy on the inside. The lesson here is if that happens to you, bake them anyways because I still ate almost an entire pan myself (don’t judge).
9. Dawes, one of my favorite bands, is coming to our town in October, which is kind of crazy because seriously, no one ever comes here. Jeron and I just bought tickets, but the only catch is… it’s on Strummer’s birthday. Am I a terrible parent for ditching him an hour before bedtime on his birthday? Maybe I earned it with the whole labor thing, and listening to him ramble on for 12 hours every day? For real though, he’s the best and I’m feeling a tiny bit guilty…
10 So many ellipses today…