These Sweet Potato Tacos are a delicious combination of mashed sweet potato, salsa, avocado, and crispy tortillas!
Here’s the thing: I don’t care if you think I’m weird.
I’m making the laziest tacos that hardly even need a recipe and trying to get you to make them too. Because what are we even doing on the internet if not taking photos of our food and telling people how good it is?
These are special tacos because they’re made with mashed sweet potatoes. While it might seem a little weird at first, I’m here to tell you that it’s not!
Why are mashed sweet potato tacos better than cubed sweet potato tacos?
While most sweet potato tacos are out there strutting around with their cubed sweet potatoes, I’m going rogue and letting you know that mashed sweet potatoes also make a great taco! Not only is the texture and flavor there, but it’s WAY easier than spending time cutting.
Another bonus is mashed sweet potato won’t fall out of your taco shell like cubed sweet potatoes will. It all just kind of stays put, ready to be delivered to your mouth.
How do you make sweet potato tacos?
If you have the time you can make a few baked sweet potatoes in the oven in about one hour. However if you have an Instant Pot (affiliate link) you can do the same thing in about 25 minutes (including the time it takes to come up to pressure) similar to how we did when we made breakfast stuffed sweet potatoes.
Once cooked, mash the flesh and stir in your favorite salsa (this is my favorite cooking salsa). You’ll also want to mash an avocado with a little lime juice and salt, as well as fry a few tortillas. Add cheese and pepitas for crunch, and you’re ready to eat!
These sweet potato tacos can be customized! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Leave off the cheese to make them vegan
- Swap whatever cheese you like such as cotija or monterey jack
- Spice them up with a sprinkling of chili powder in the sweet potato
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh or jarred jalapeños for extra spice
More Mexican recipes
If you make this recipe be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Sweet Potato Tacos
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 12 Corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon Olive or canola oil
- ½ cup salsa, plus more to taste
- 2 avocados
- Juice of one lime
- Coarse kosher salt
- Queso Fresco, or your favorite Mexican cheese
- Cilantro, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Rinse sweet potatoes, jab with a fork a few times, and wrap each one tightly in aluminum foil. Place wrapped potatoes on a baking sheet and bake in the center of the oven until soft, about one hour.
- Place a few drops of oil in a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Once hot, add one or two corn tortillas so they lay flat but don’t overlap. Move the tortilla around to coat it in oil and let cook a few minutes until beginning to char and crisp a little. Flip and continue to cook until the other side is also charred. Remove to a plate and continue with as many tortillas as desired, adding a few drops of oil to the pan each time you add a new tortilla.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin from the sweet potatoes and mash roughly with a fork in a medium bowl. Add salsa and stir.
- In a small bowl mash avocados. Add lime juice and salt to taste and mix thoroughly.
- To assemble the tacos, spread a layer of the sweet potato mixture down the middle of a tortilla, top with a dollop of avocado, and sprinkle with cheese, pepitas, cilantro, and more salsa if desired.