What do you think of when you hear the word ‘Trinity’?
Maybe you think of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. That’s cool, I’m with you. Good answer.
Maybe you think of the girl from The Matrix. That’s weird, I’m not really with you. I’m surprised your mind went there. You’re probably a Keanu Reeves fan and I’ll pretend like you never brought it up.
Maybe you think of mirepoix. Ok, probably not. Maybe you don’t even know what mirepoix is, but that’s what I’m thinking of. Mirepoix, sometimes referred to as the holy trinity of French cooking, is an equal combination of onion, celery and carrots. It is absolutely divine, and I think it is what gives this meatloaf its great flavor.
You may have noticed by now that my family isn’t really into red meat. Meatloaf would probably be at the bottom of our dinner wish list. Somehow, this meatloaf defies nature and comes out super moist, super flavorful, and pleasing to us all.
If you’re totally against red meat you could use ground chicken or turkey to make this loaf no problem. If you wanted to use beans, well, I’d like to hear how that turned out for you because I bet it would taste good but I’m not sure how to do it.
I would really encourage you to make this meatloaf, praise Jesus for how amazing it is, and eat it while you watch Speed. Its another Keanu Reeves movie, if you don’t know what it is… we’re best friends.
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion,, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks,, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup carrot puree or grated carrot
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and milk and let them soak.
- Place the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft but not brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the celery and cook 3 to 4 minutes more. Add the mixture to the breadcrumbs along with the beef, cheese, carrot, ketchup, salt and pepper. Use a rubber scraper to combine, or work it together with your hands.
- Press the meatloaf mixture into the prepared pan and smooth out the top. Pour the tomato sauce evenly over the top. Bake until the center of the loaf is no longer pink or reads 160ºF on a meat thermometer, 45 to 50 minutes. Cut into slices and serve with mashed potatoes.