I feel ridiculous telling you how to make a turkey sandwich.
Chances are you’re a tax-paying, lawn-mowing, shower-taking adult. You have your life together and you’ve heard about this thing where people put meats and cheeses between two slices of bread.
Years ago when I worked as a lifeguard, most of us were pretty young and didn’t totally have our lives together. We were tax-paying for sure, but mowing lawns and taking showers were few and far between.
I used to bring these sandwiches to eat on my break and people would always ooo and ahh over them. Maybe you’re in the same kind of season in your life and could use some sandwich suggestions. Well I’m here to help!
The best turkey sandwich
I believe quality of ingredients is what really makes a sandwich. I use a whole wheat hoagie roll here, which holds its shape well and supports the extreme stacking of ingredients. You could use regular sandwich bread, but I can’t guarantee the proportions would taste just right or that the bread wouldn’t squish under the weight of the filling.
I also used deli turkey off the bone, but a smoked turkey breast would also be great. This turkey sandwich is delicious cold or warm, toasted in the oven for a few minutes or in a panini press.
Do you put mayo on a turkey sandwich?
Of course, this is a sandwich, so everything I use is optional. I actually don’t eat mayonnaise, so I always leave that off, but can appreciate its value for others.
What kind of mustard to use on a turkey sandwich
Use your favorite mustard. I use a chipotle mustard, sometimes horseradish mustard or stone ground. If you wanted to throw on some slices of red onion, you’re really smart and should probably be a scientist. Or a sandwich artist. Your choice.
The best cheese for a turkey sandwich
I actually like using two different kinds of cheese for my turkey sandwich. I used cojack and baby swiss, but cheddar, provolone, or munster would also be great!
More sandwich recipes
- Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Sandwich
- Scrambled Egg Sandwich
- Peach, Arugula, and Goat Cheese Sandwich
- Double Bean Pita Sandwich
- Cajun Tofu Wraps
- Oven Roasted Tomato and Pesto Panini
- Harissa Grilled Cheese
- Greek Chickpea Wraps
- Cheesy Hummus and Veggie Panini
- The Best Veggie Sandwich
Ultimate Turkey Sandwich
- 4 whole wheat hoagie buns
- 1 pound deli turkey off the bone
- 20 slices hard salami
- 4 slices baby swiss cheese
- 4 slices cojack cheese
- 2 roma tomatoes,, sliced
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce
- Fresh ground pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cut bread horizontally in half. Smear the bottom half with mustard and the top half with mayonnaise. Layer the filling as follows: baby swiss cheese, turkey, black pepper, salami, tomatoes, cojack cheese, lettuce. Replace top half of bread and cut in half, if desired. Serve with baby carrots and grapes or chips and a pickle.