This Veggie Pizza Sauce is full of vitamins and tastes great!
Want to get your kids to eat more veggies? Let’s talk about veggie pizza sauce!
This magic sauce is packed with nutrients and fiber, but I give you full permission to spread it on a pizza and tell your kids it’s junk food. It’s ready in less than 45 minutes, which is great, because when you want pizza, you want it NOW.
I love that this sauce tastes even better than store bought pizza sauce and I know exactly what’s going in it. In the summer it could be made almost entirely out of a home garden or farmer’s market score.
Feel free to experiment with some of your favorite vegetables here. Substitute a different colored pepper or add in some zucchini to play with the flavors and find exactly what works for your family.
My sauce was a little runny, which I think could be fixed by draining the tomatoes before adding them to the vegetables. I basically let a three year old make this, so there were bound to be some oversights.
This made enough for four pizzas (1 pound of dough each). I ended up cooking two and freezing the rest of the sauce to use another day.
Veggie Pizza Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper,, diced
- 1 medium carrot,, diced
- 1 stalk celery,, diced
- 1 small onion,, diced
- 2 cloves garlic,, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 28 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the bell pepper, carrot, celery, onion and garlic. Saute until the veggies are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and puree with an immersion blender or run through a food processor in batches until almost smooth.
- Return the sauce to the heat and add the oregano and thyme. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer on low anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours. The longer you simmer the thicker and more flavorful the sauce will be.