Nutty Chocolate Oat Bars
These bars are a decadent treat that's full of chocolate and texture!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract divided
- 1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans or a mixture of both
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon plus a pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together 3/4 cup butter and brown sugar until creamy. Add the egg, yolk, and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and beat again.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, 1/4 cup nuts, baking soda, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Add to the egg mixture in two or three parts, beating just until incorporated each time.
In a medium saucepan, combine the chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir over low heat until smooth. Stir in 3/4 teaspoon vanilla and remaining 3/4 cup nuts. Remove from the heat.
Pat two thirds of the oat mixture into the prepared baking pan so that it covers the bottom. Pour the chocolate mixture over the top and spread it out evenly. Take the remaining dough and dot it over the chocolate. Bake 25 minutes or until the cookie top is just beginning to brown. Let cool completely in the pan before cutting and serving.
Calories: 323kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 52mg | Potassium: 170mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 280IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 1.8mg