These Stuffed Mushrooms have only six ingredients, making them an easy, flavorful appetizer or side dish!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 16 ounces baby Portobello mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Coarse kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
Remove stems from mushrooms. Chop the stems very fine and place the mushrooms stem side up on the prepared baking sheet.
Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the spinach to the hot pan and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove the spinach from the pan and allow to cool. Squeeze out any extra water and chop.
In the same pan, heat the remaining teaspoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes. Add the chopped mushrooms stems and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl along with the spinach, breadcrumbs, and cheese. Stir to combine or work it together with your fingers.
Season the mushroom caps with salt. Divide the spinach mixture evenly amongst the mushrooms, rounding the tops. Spray the stuffed mushrooms lightly with cooking spray. Bake 20 minutes or until golden. Eat warm.
Ideas to customize these vegetarian stuffed mushrooms:
- Swap out the Parmesan for some finely crumbled feta or goat cheese
- Add a few slices of crumbled bacon if that’s your kind of thing
- Leave out the cheese entirely to make it vegan
- Use gluten-free breadcrumbs to keep it gluten-free
- Swap the spinach for any other easily wilted green such as arugula
- Serve these on top of creamy polenta or mashed potatoes for a comforting vegetarian main dish
Calories: 70kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 149mg | Potassium: 370mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1450IU | Vitamin C: 4.5mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 0.9mg