Spinach and Artichoke Mac and Cheese
Spinach and artichokes in a rich cheese sauce smothering perfectly cooked pasta!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
- 1 pound semolina or whole wheat penne
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg or to taste
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach defrosted and wrung dry in a kitchen towel
- 10 ounces frozen chopped artichokes defrosted and wrung dry in a kitchen towel
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Fontina cheese plus additional for sprinkling on top
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese plus additional for sprinkling on top
Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Coat a 9x13 glass baking dish or other large casserole with cooking spray. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt the water and cook the pasta to al dente according to package directions.
While the pasta water is coming to a boil, place and medium pot over medium-low heat with the olive oil and the butter. When the butter is melted add the onion and garlic and cook until very soft, about 10 minutes.
Turn the heat up to medium-high and sprinkle the flour in the pan. Whisk for about 1 minute, then whisk in the wine, cooking for another minute. Whisk the milk into the pan and bring up to a bubble. Add the nutmeg, spinach, artichokes, salt and pepper to the sauce and simmer until thickened and the vegetables are warmed through, 2-3 minutes. Add 1 cup of each of the cheeses to the sauce and stir until melted.
Toss the sauce with the cooked pasta and transfer to the prepared baking dish.Sprinkle some more Fontina and Parmesan cheese over the top and bake until the cheese has melted and the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Calories: 597kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 59mg | Sodium: 597mg | Potassium: 531mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 6215IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 495mg | Iron: 2mg