Spanakopita Pizza Dippers
Spinach and feta wrapped in pizza dough, dipped in marinara sauce.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 12 minutes
Total Time 32 minutes
Servings 10 dippers
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach thawed, and excess liquid removed
- 8 ounces feta cheese preferably packed in liquid, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 24 ounces marinara sauce
- Dried oregano
Preheat the oven to 450ºF. In a medium bowl, combine spinach, feta, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste.
Roll pizza dough out into a large, thin rectangle. Cut into about ten equal pieces. Divide the filling mixture amongst the dough squares. Place water in a small bowl. Using two fingers, dip them in the water and dab all around the edges of each dough square. Fold up the bottom of a piece of dough, then fold in the sides, and stretch the top over the filling, pinching the dough to seal any openings. Gently roll the dipper to seal, shape, and evenly distribute the filling. Repeat with the remaining dippers and place on a baking sheet.
Brush the dippers lightly with olive oil, then sprinkle lightly with dried oregano and coarse kosher salt. Bake 12 minutes or until the dough is beginning to crisp and brown.
While the dippers are cooking, heat the marinara in a small pot over medium low heat. Serve dippers with small bowls of marinara for dipping.
A few ideas to customize your Spanakopita Pizza Dippers:
- Replace the spinach and feta with string cheese, just place one stick in each dough square and wrap
- Instead of the spinach and feta place a spoonful of ricotta cheese and a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese in each dough square
- Skip the dip and top dough with marinara or pizza sauce, then sprinkle spinach and feta over the top
- Instead of marinara, dip in tzatziki, flavored olive oil, or drizzle with a balsamic glaze
Calories: 196kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 958mg | Potassium: 337mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3715IU | Vitamin C: 6.4mg | Calcium: 157mg | Iron: 2.6mg