Blue Cheese Biscuits
Tender, flaky biscuits loaded with blue cheese two ways!
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 18 minutes
Total Time 43 minutes
Servings 12 biscuits
- 10 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 cup BRIANNAS Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Buttermilk for brushing the biscuits
Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a Silpat.
Cut butter into cubes and place in a small bowl.
In a glass measuring cup, whisk together 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk with the blue cheese dressing.
Place the bowl of butter and the measuring cup with the liquid ingredients in the freezer while you prepare the other ingredients.
In the bowl of a food processor, pulse flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and baking soda a few times to combine. Add the cold butter cubes and pulse until the butter is about the size of rolled oats, 15-20 times. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add the buttermilk mixture and stir with a wooden spoon about five times. Add the blue cheese crumbles and stir until everything is just moistened.
Dump the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and carefully form into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick using your hands or a bench scraper. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out dough and place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. You can carefully reshape scraps of dough into another rectangle to cut out more biscuits, just try not to work the dough too much.
Brush the tops of the biscuits lightly with more buttermilk and bake 18 minutes or until they begin to turn lightly golden brown. Allow the biscuits to cool a few minutes before handling. Biscuits are best enjoyed within a few hours of making, but can be frozen and reheated in a 400ºF oven until warm and crisp.
A few ideas to customize your Blue Cheese Biscuits:
- Drizzle finished biscuits with honey, bbq sauce, or additional BRIANNAS Blue Cheese Dressing
- For more rustic looking biscuits, drop spoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet
- Serve alongside a simple cobb salad with more of the blue cheese dressing
- Swap the Italian seasoning for about 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs such as oregano, thyme, rosemary, and sage
Calories: 208kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 453mg | Potassium: 128mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 370IU | Calcium: 105mg | Iron: 1.2mg