Jackfruit Tortilla Soup
A vegetarian version of chicken tortilla soup made with jackfruit.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 1 can jackfruit packed in water, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 30 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 32 ounces low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2-4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cheddar monterey jack, or Mexican cheese blend
- Sour cream
- Tortilla strips store bought, or recipe below
- 6-8 yellow corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- Coarse kosher salt
- Chili powder
Lay the jackfruit on a clean kitchen towel and pat dry. Using your fingers, press the jackfruit chunks and pull apart into large shreds. Set aside.
In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeño and cook, stirring, for one minute. Add the shredded jackfruit and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, corn, lime juice, and spices, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
While the soup is simmering, prepare the tortilla strips. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Cut corn tortillas in half, then into about six thin strips. Lay in a single layer on a baking sheet and spray lightly with cooking spray. Sprinkle to taste with salt and chili powder. Bake 10-15 minutes until crisp and lightly browned, watching carefully so the strips don’t burn.
To serve the soup, ladle into bowls and top with optional toppings and tortilla strips.
Nutrition information is an estimate.
A few ideas to customize your jackfruit tortilla soup:
- Replace jackfruit with a can of black beans, rinsed and drained, or about 1 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- Spice it up by using more chili powder, a pinch of cayenne, or a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce
- Use whatever veggies you might have on hand such as zucchini, bell pepper, or mushrooms (I would add all with the onion)
- Use store bought tortilla strips or chips to cut down on prep time
Calories: 129kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 773mg | Potassium: 455mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 655IU | Vitamin C: 18.6mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 2.1mg