Something happened over the weekend that hasn’t happened in 3 years. I was completely alone.
My husband took the long weekend to go on a canoe trip with his friends and his parents asked to take the kids over night so I was left with a quiet, empty house all to myself. I could barely decide what to do. While I was tempted to get a long list of to-do’s done without diaper changing breaks, it also seemed like I should take this time to relax.
I think I was able to find a pretty good balance, achieving my goals on the quilts I’m making for the kids, packing a few boxes for our move on Saturday, going for a walk, finishing a book, and watching a movie. Oh, and baking and eating waaaaay too many of these muffins.
I saw these muffins on Jessica’s blog last week and knew I had to have them. Zucchini? Yes. Banana? Yes. Chocolate Chips? Yesssss. I’m also a sucker for a good glaze, which these were really rocking.
When I was hungry and these muffins were in the oven I decided that the baby needed protein. I’ve been obsessed with peanut butter lately, especially on things like banana or zucchini bread, but I still wanted to eat that sweet glaze Jessica had going on. I decided I could have my proverbial cake and eat it too, and created a peanut butter nutella glaze. Its in a small portion because I was all alone, just right for two muffins (which is just right for ONE person if you’re me, not that I stopped at two muffins). Its nutty and not overly sweet and goes perfectly with these muffins, which are also amazing by themselves.
Can a muffin be velvety? Because they totally are.
Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins with Peanut Butter Nutella Glaze
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup butter,, melted and cooled
- 1 ⅓ cups freshly grated zucchini
- ⅓ cup mashed banana, (about 1 small banana)
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon smooth natural peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon chocolate hazelnut spread, (nutella)
- 1-2 teaspoons milk, (I used 1 ½ teaspoons)
- To make the muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg and brown sugar until smooth and no lumps remain. Add vanilla extract, butter, and milk. Whisk again until smooth, then use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to stir in zucchini and mashed banana. Add the dry ingredients a little at a time, folding the batter until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Divide batter amongst muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Top with peanut butter nutella glaze if desired.
- To make the glaze:
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, peanut butter, and nutella. Add milk a few drops at a time, mixing well until desired consistency is reached.