This rich Banana Bundt Cake is covered with a sweet vanilla glaze.
Whenever my daughter sees a bundt cake her eyes go big and she says, “Ooo, that’s a BIG donut!” In this case? She’s not wrong.
I spent a long time eating cake, trying to find the right words to describe the taste to you. Obviously its good (sooo good), it tastes like bananas, and carries a faint air of vanilla.
But really? Deep down? I think this cake tastes like a donut. A giant, banana-y, glazed cake donut. I love the slight nuttiness that a little whole what flour can bring in and the yogurt keeps it moist without getting sticky as it sits for a few days.
And this cake did sit for a few days. I loved that it kept fresh for so long, allowing me to enjoy it sweetness far beyond the point I would normally toss a banana treat.
I was even able to share it with a handful of people and still have plenty for myself. It was perfect with a mug of hot tea and was just right to satisfy my sweet tooth with a sliver after lunch.
Be sure to sift your powdered sugar for a perfect bundt cake glaze. If you’re in a hurry and skip that step though, I won’t tell.
This banana cake with vanilla glaze is easily customized! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Skip the glaze entirely to save a bit on sugar and calories
- Bake in a 9×13 pan for a dense sheet cake, being careful to adjust the baking time as needed
- Add a dash of cinnamon to the bundt cake glaze to change up the flavor
- Skip the glaze and spread slices of cake with creamy natural peanut butter
If you make this recipe, be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Banana Bundt Cake with Vanilla Glaze
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter,, at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs,, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups mashed ripe banana, (about 4)
- 1 cup plain yogurt,, at room temperature
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Generously butter a 12 cup bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla, then add the eggs one at a time, beating for about 1 minute after each addition. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the bananas. Finally, mix in half the dry ingredients, then all of the yogurt, then the remaining dry ingredients. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and rap it on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles and smooth the top.
- Bake 65-75 minutes, or until a thin knife inserted deep into the center comes out clean. If the cake is browning too quickly after 30 minutes, cover it loosely with a foil tent. Transfer the cake to a rack to cool for 10 minutes before unfolding onto the rack to cool completely.
- Once the cake is cool, assemble the glaze by mixing powdered sugar and vanilla extract in a small bowl with a fork. Add milk a few drops at a time until the desired consistency is reached. It should be smooth enough to drizzle over the cake but not so thin that it becomes translucent. Drizzle evenly over the cake and allow to dry before covering with plastic wrap and storing in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.