Last week was In. Sane.
We had like five million parties to go to (boo hoo, poor us, we have friends! And it was literally one party we hosted and one dinner to attend, I’m dramatic). I watched my friend’s kids for a few hours which meant a total of six kids under the age of five (I don’t recommend it). We went out of town for a few days which meant basically packing up the entire house like we were moving because what will the weather be like? What if the baby needs this? What if the potty-trainer poops in all his underwear? What if you-know-who wets the bed (now you’re wondering if it’s somebody else)? I had to make and photograph a recipe for a freelance job on top of photographing like six other recipes because I realized I had been lazy and come to a point where I didn’t have a single piece of food to blog about. And then season 2 of Orange Is the New Black came out and I had to watchthemallrightnow because, duh, I can (I can’t).
Luckily I’m an efficiency expert, so I crafted these brown butter white chocolate pistachio blondies for the dinner we were attending. They turned out sooo yummy, and I don’t really think they minded me only bringing 3/4 of the pan because I think it’s rude to offer food to people that I’ve man-handled in a photo shoot (they did mind, I think they might be leaving the country because of it).
These bars are sweet, brown sugary, crunchy, salty, and dreamy. White chocolate is usually paired with macadamia nuts, but I’m still on such a pistachio kick and I think they matched up perfectly here.
BTDubbs, sorry about all the parenthesis (not sorry).
Are you following along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram? If those aren’t your thing you can subscribe to The Live-In Kitchen to have new posts delivered straight to your email.
- 13 tablespoons butter
- 1½ cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 cup good quality white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray. Line the pan with parchment paper so it hangs a bit over the sides, and then spray the parchment paper with cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. The butter will begin to crackle and foam a bit. Allow it to cook, swirling the pan occasionally, until the crackling subsides and the butter begins to turn a nutty brown. Remove from the heat and transfer the butter and all the browned bits to a large bowl. Allow the butter to cool slightly.
- Once the butter has cooled, whisk in the brown sugar until incorporated. Add the eggs and vanilla and continue to whisk until smooth. Fold in the flour and baking powder until the dry ingredients are no longer visible. Fold in the pistachios and white chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth out the top. Bake 22-25 minutes or until the edges are just beginning to brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. You don’t want to over bake them or they will be dry. Allow the bars to cool before using the parchment to lift them out of the pan. Cut into squares and serve.