This Angel Hair Pasta with Lemony Pistachios and Arugula is a hearty, flavorful pasta dish!
I’m completely out of the groove.
The last few weeks have totally messed up my routine and made it hard for me to feel motivated. I’m even grocery shopping on a different day of the week. I hardly even know myself anymore.
Seriously though, it’s weird to think that my dad is gone. I saw him once a week on average in the last few months, so it doesn’t always sink in that he’s not just across town laying in his bed watching the baseball game. Its just strange that there are billions of people in the world and not one of them is the one person I find myself looking for.
Maybe getting out of the groove is a good thing. I was planning on completely overhauling my routine in September anyways in preparation for homeschool. This time has allowed me the opportunity to look at my days in a whole new way. I can shuffle blogging, errands, school, and fun in different combinations and see what works.
One thing that never changes is this family’s love of pasta. This angel hair pasta with lemony pistachios and arugula is full of fresh flavor and texture, making it a light yet satisfying meal. Adding greens to your pasta can be a great way to increase your vegetable intake if you’re hesitant to eat them on their own. The pistachios give a punch of protein, texture, and long-lasting energy while a squeeze of citrus juice is a low calorie way to building flavor without adding fat.
Are you following along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram? If those aren’t your thing you can subscribe to The Live-In Kitchen to have new posts delivered straight to your email.
Angel Hair Pasta with Lemony Pistachios and Arugula
- 1 pound angel hair pasta
- 6 tablespoons olive oil,, divided
- 1 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shelled roasted and salted pistachios,, chopped
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves,, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 3 cups firmly packed arugula
- Parmesan cheese, (optional)
- Set a large pot of water on to boil and cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil with bread crumbs and pistachios, stirring to coat evenly. Place the pan over medium heat and toast, stirring, until the breadcrumbs are golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining 5 tablespoons olive oil over medium low heat. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and allow to cook gently, stirring, until the garlic is a pale blonde color, about two minutes. Add the lemon zest and remove from the heat.
- When the pasta is done cooking, drain and return to the pot. Combine with the breadcrumb mixture, garlic oil, and arugula, tossing to coat the pasta completely and wilt down the greens. Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese if desired.