This recipe for Easy Canned Butter Beans is a creamy and comforting main or side dish! This quick vegan bean recipe is easily the best butter bean recipe ever!
These beans. Are. EVERYTHING.
Are you looking for vegan camping food? BOOM. Side dish for a backyard barbecue? BOOM.
Comfort food on a cold, rainy day? BOOM. A healthy, high protein meatless option? BOOM BOOM BOOM!
I had a dish similar to this at a New Year’s Eve dinner at a local restaurant and have been perfecting it at home ever since. Can you believe in a five course dinner with a talented chef my favorite thing of all was butter beans?!
Easy canned butter bean recipe ingredients
- Olive oil
- Canned large butter beans
- Vegetable Broth
- Dried thyme
- Salt + pepper
How to cook canned beans
The great thing about canned beans is that they’re already cooked, so you’re basically just heating them up.
You could definitely make this recipe with cooked dried beans, but I love the convenience of canned beans. I also have yet to perfect my dried bean cooking skills, so the flavor and texture of canned always seems better to me.
This recipe is super easy. A tiny bit of chopping and a little bit of simmering and you’re done. The vegetable broth cooks down with the beans to give it a nice creamy texture that I keep craving again and again!
What to serve with canned butter beans
I like to serve these beans the same way I received them at the restaurant – with a few toasted flatbread points and a spicy arugula salad.
I legitimately might eat this, alternated with burrata with fresh cherry tomatoes, for the rest of the summer. Life has just never tasted this good!
Tips for customizing:
- Use finely chopped shallots in place of the garlic
- Add a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes with the garlic
- Use 3 cups of vegetable broth to make a simple butter bean soup
- Sauté other veggies with the onions such as celery or zucchini
- Spread the beans on sourdough toast and top with arugula salad for an on-the-go lunch option
More butter bean recipes
- Butter Bean Soup
- Greek Pizza
- Orecchiette with Spinach and Butter Beans
- White Bean Dip
- Double Bean Pita Sandwich
If you make this recipe be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Easy Canned Butter Beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 ounces canned large butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 15 seconds.
- Add the beans, vegetable broth, thyme, salt, and pepper, stir, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and let cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has reduced and the beans are hot, 15-20 minutes.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with paprika.