These Healthy Vegan Lettuce Wraps are an easy healthy dinner idea!
Let’s talk about that healthy summer glow, shall we?
I spent many years baking in the sun while working as a lifeguard, and then probably the same amount of years avoiding the sun altogether in hopes that I would negate my skin cancer risks. Now I’ve found a healthy balance of vitamin D, light tan, and sun protection.
I’m also head over heels in love with summer produce and just can’t find enough meals in the day to fulfill all of my dreams. I want to eat oven roasted corn and black bean pico de gallo and rainbow feta flatbread every darn day until the leaves freeze off my tomato plants.
This warm sunshine and fresh, healthy food are what makes that healthy summer glow – where your body is happy and you’re happy because you’re getting exactly what you need and love. When it comes to healthy meals you can’t do much better than wrapping it in lettuce!
I’ll be honest. I set out to make a vegetarian lettuce wrap, and when I was done it was amazing, I loved it, and then I realized that it was, in fact, vegan.
This really isn’t a problem, it just goes to show that vegan food is much more accessible than we may think. I really don’t think this would be improved by any sort of cheese or dairy.
We’re going to shred the tempeh just like we did for my vegan tempeh tacos, which creates the perfect size crumble. Sauté with a few veggies and delicious flavorings like soy sauce, garlic, and ginger, and we’re almost there!
I like to pile these in a big ole piece of butter lettuce with shredded carrots, red cabbage, chopped peanuts, and sriracha. There’s practically just as much freshness as there is cooked…ness. Overall it’s a real good situation.
These healthy vegan lettuce wraps can be easily customized! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Make a sauce to drizzle over the top by combining tahini, lemon juice, and sriracha to taste
- If you don’t like tempeh you could cook crumbles of my walnut burger mix and fill with that
- Swap the butter lettuce for romaine leaves, swiss chard, or any large leafy green
- Throw the filling in a tortilla if you’re just like CARBS PLEASE
If you make this recipe be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Healthy Vegan Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped ginger or ginger paste
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 8-10 butter lettuce leaves
- 1 cup Shredded or julienned carrots
- 1 cup Shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup Chopped peanuts
- 1/4 cup Fresh cilantro, roughly or finely chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the yellow onion and red bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and stir 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the tempeh and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, lime juice, and green onions and stir to combine. Remove from the heat.
- Place about 2 tablespoons each of shredded carrots and cabbage in each lettuce leaf. Scoop large spoonfuls of the tempeh mixture on top and sprinkle with chopped peanuts, fresh cilantro, extra green onions, and sriracha if desired.