I got lost in the woods the other day.
Maybe lost isn’t a great term for it, since I technically knew exactly where I was, I just didn’t know how to get out of it. I’ve been trying to run several nights a week, and since I don’t really enjoy running I will occasionally just take to the woods where I’m forced to follow a path up a bluff or over a fallen tree. My legs are so sore afterwards that I figure it’s a fair replacement for running.
So the other night I took a path I had taken several weeks before, except now all the foliage had grown in (and yes, I always think of The Office when I hear the word “foliage”), making it a little more difficult to tell which way to go.
After trying several different paths I realized I was all turned around, exhausted, and the sun was going down. I could hear some kids playing baseball nearby, so I knew I wasn’t in the woods too deep, but I still sent my husband a heads-up text with a picture of the pond I had discovered, just in case he needed to come find me.
Pretty much right after that text for help I found my way out, although much farther from home than I would have preferred. It ended up being a great work out, but maybe I’ll stay out of the woods until the leaves fall again. Lesson learned = don’t get stuck in the woods near dark or with an empty belly.
This garlic bread is going to load you up on carbs. It’s definitely not a low-fat choice for fitting into a healthy diet, but it’s soooo good (which makes it worth it, right?). It always disappears and I often make it for company as a way to stretch the meal.
The quality of your bread is very important here. Using the best bread is really what makes it the best ever garlic bread.
I always use the “Take and Bake” variety of French bread available at my grocery store. This allows you to bake the bread to a soft inside and crusty exterior. You can use fully baked bread but you may want to adjust the baking time as it can get a little crustier than desired.
If you make this recipe be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Best Ever Garlic Bread
- 7 tablespoons butter,, softened
- 2 garlic cloves,, crushed
- 2 heaping tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 large French baguette or two smaller twin baguettes
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- In a small bowl, combine butter, garlic, Parmesan, and parsley.
- Cut the bread almost completely in half lengthwise like you’re making a sandwich. Spread the butter mixture evenly over the inside top and bottom. Close the bread and place it on the baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until the bread is hot and slightly crusty and the butter is completely melted. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into pieces.