This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread has a firm texture and is filled with rich chocolate chips!
Banana bread. Is there any greater love?
The short answer is yes, of course there is. Buuuuut, banana bread has been getting me through these queasy days of early pregnancy.
No-thing has sounded good except the carb-iest carbs. This chocolate chip banana bread (smothered in peanut butter, obviously) has been a real life saver at breakfast time when my usual yogurt and granola can’t even be looked at.
While I’m pleased to announce that I think I’ve kicked nausea and most of my aversions to the curb (welcome back, vegetables!) I will continue to have a soft spot in my heart for banana bread. And there’s plenty of eating to be done that we can have room for both.
I love adding the aforementioned peanut butter to each slice because it guarantees it’ll keep me full… and it just feels like the right choice.
This turns out best if all your ingredients are at room temperature. What a pain, I know, but it doesn’t have to be that complicated. I place my eggs in a bowl of warm (not hot) water while I get my other ingredients ready.
If I’ve forgotten to leave butter out I’ll slice it into tablespoons and place it on a plate in the microwave for 3-4 seconds at a time until softened but not melted.
I like to go big with both nuts and chocolate chips (or chunks), but if you can go one way or the other if you prefer.
Can I double this chocolate chip banana bread recipe?
Yes! I frequently double this but use three eggs instead of two to make it super moist. Everything else can double proportionately.
Tips for customizing
- Use dairy free butter and chocolate chips for a dairy free banana bread
- Leave out the walnuts if you’re not a fan
- Add 1 teaspoon lemon zest to the batter
- Add ½ teaspoon cinnamon to the batter
If you make this recipe, be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat or white whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter,, softened
- 2 large eggs,, at room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup mashed ripe bananas, (about 3 large)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugar and butter on medium speed until creamy. Beat in eggs and banana. Add the flour mixture in about three parts, scraping down the bowl and beating until smooth after each addition. Using a rubber scraper, fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool ten minutes in the pan, then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- The bread will keep, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, at room temperature for three days.