This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread has a firm texture and is filled with rich chocolate chips!
Banana bread. Is there any greater love?
The short answer is yes, of course there is. Buuuuut, banana bread has been getting me through these queasy days of early pregnancy. No-thing has sounded good except the carb-iest carbs. This chocolate chip banana bread (smothered in peanut butter, obviously) has been a real life saver at breakfast time when my usual yogurt and granola can’t even be looked at.
While I’m pleased to announce that I think I’ve kicked nausea and most of my aversions to the curb (welcome back, vegetables!) I will continue to have a soft spot in my heart for banana bread. And there’s plenty of eating to be done that we can have room for both. I love adding the aforementioned peanut butter to each slice because it guarantees it’ll keep me full… and it just feels like the right choice.
I love when bloggers share posts from their early days of blogging, so I won’t be shy in showing you this hideous picture from the first time I shared this recipe. Burnt bread served on a fancy plate on the floor? It’s ready for the internets. Despite how it looks in that photo, this bread is such a classic that I wanted to make sure my dear readers had a more appropriate picture and printable recipe format.
Speaking of, I’ll spare you the technical reasoning, but as it happens some of my older recipes don’t seem to be printing properly. If you come across this problem I would encourage you to copy and paste the recipe into whatever word processing program you’re comfortable with and printing from there. I will continue to work on this problem and apologize for any inconvenience!
Back to banana bread, this turns out best if all your ingredients are at room temperature. What a pain, I know, but it doesn’t have to be that complicated. I place my eggs in a bowl of warm (not hot) water while I get my other ingredients ready. If I’ve forgotten to leave butter out I’ll slice it into tablespoons and place it on a plate in the microwave for 3-4 seconds at a time until softened but not melted.
I like to go big with both nuts and chocolate chips (or chunks), but if you can go one way or the other if you prefer.
Are you following along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram? If those aren’t your thing you can subscribe to The Live-In Kitchen to have new posts delivered straight to your email.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter,, softened
- 2 large eggs,, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup mashed ripe bananas, (about 3 large)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugar and butter on medium speed until creamy. Beat in eggs and banana. Add the flour mixture in about three parts, scraping down the bowl and beating until smooth after each addition. Using a rubber scraper, fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool ten minutes in the pan, then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- The bread will keep, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, at room temperature for three days.