This Cheesy Hummus and Veggie Panini is the dreamiest vegetarian sandwich option you’ll ever find! This post originally appeared in 2012 and has been updated with new photos and a more well-tested recipe.
I’ve had a handful of interesting jobs in my 20-some years on this earth.
I was a hostess at a restaurant for all of 4 weeks.
I worked in the video game department of a major toy store.
I created videos for a nature conservancy which at one point required me to go rattlesnake hunting.
I also created online videos for a home shopping network, which is much more boring than it sounds.
In college, I worked at a sandwich shop. Because of my school schedule I was usually only there for about 3 hours over lunch. It was a popular spot for downtown businessmen and women to pop in for a quick, quality lunch, and things could get pretty busy. Over the course of a few months I worked my way up to the role of Sandwich Maker. This was no small job. Hundreds of sandwiches flew out the door for dine in, take out, and delivery over the course of just a few hours. Here I discovered something about myself – I love making sandwiches. I could scan orders and throw down ingredients with precision and speed you can only imagine.
This Cheesy Hummus and Veggie Panini was one of the vegetarian options at this sandwich shop which, sadly, is now closed. Luckily I made so many sandwiches there that I have most of the recipes memorized and can pull them together for my family whenever I want.
If you don’t have a panini press feel free to pop it in the oven for a few minutes. I always use my Cuisinart Griddler (<– affiliate link), which I love.
What are some of your more memorable jobs from the past?
Are you following along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram? If those aren’t your thing you can subscribe to The Live-In Kitchen to have new posts delivered straight to your email.
Cheesy Hummus and Veggie Panini
- 6 crusty hard rolls
- 1 cup hummus
- 12 slices mozzarella cheese
- Garlic and balsamic grape tomatoes
- 2 cups baby spinach
- olive oil
- Preheat a panini press to medium high.
- Cut the rolls in half. Divide the hummus over the bottom half of each sandwich. Top with one slice of mozzarella cheese, followed by five or six tomatoes. Place a small handful of spinach on top, followed by another slice of mozzarella. Top with the other half of the roll.
- Place the sandwiches in the press, working in batches as necessary, and drizzling the tops with a little olive oil before gently pressing down. Cook until the cheese is melted, the bread is toasty, and everything is warmed through, 5-10 minutes. Allow to rest a few minutes before cutting in half and serving.