Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are sweet, chewy, and full of texture!
It would seem to anyone who frequents this blog that I have a thing for oatmeal and chocolate mashed together. However, I don’t like chocolate oatmeal. I know, I’m a big contradicting mystery.
Let’s take a walk down memory lane, shall we?
Remember these banana oat muffins with ultimate crumble topping? Oats and chocolate all over the place, plus banana (my other obsession).
Chocolate oat bars were one of the very first things I ever shared with you, because, obviously.
Oatmeal peanut butter squares incorporate oats, chocolate, and another obsession – peanut butter!
I want to eat this oatmeal chocolate chip cake for breakfast right now.
Monster cookies take oats and chocolate to the extreme (plus more peanut butter! and M&Ms!).
Then of course there’s just straight up oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.
Maybe I should rename this blog The Chocolate Oatmeal. Seriously, if you weren’t into it you wouldn’t be here, right? Since I’ve already gone crazy adding peanut butter and bananas to this combo, I decided to incorporate another favorite into this cookie – coconut. Coconut is one of those things you either love or hate and you know by now which side I’m on.
I made these last week in a last ditch effort to get my sick boy to eat something. Can you believe it didn’t work? I ended up comforting myself with about four of them to compensate. Once he came around a day or so later he was happy to have the cookies, so thankfully I didn’t have to polish them off myself.
I also sent this recipe to one of my friends last week because I knew she would love it and needed to have it before it hit the blog. If you’re friends with The Live-In Kitchen on Facebook you can see a picture of their version (they used almonds instead of pecans, yum!).
- 1 cup butter,, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips
- 2 ½ cups old fashioned oats
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars until creamy. Mix in eggs and vanilla and beat another minute.
- In another bowl combine the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and coconut. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet and beat until combined. Add the chocolate chips, oats, and pecans and mix gently until just incorporated.
- Place one inch balls of dough on the prepared cookie sheets. If you want a flatter cookie, gently flatten each mound with the palm of your hand. If you leave them big and puffy you may need to bake them a few minutes longer. Bake 10-12 minutes or until just beginning to brown. Let cool for several minutes on the cookie sheet before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Leave a Reply