I’m in love. I don’t want anyone to know.
He’s not as good looking or popular as the other guys.
His name is oatmeal, and I think I love him so much I should probably marry him.
So, I can’t really marry oatmeal. I should probably stick with the marriage I’m in. But I’m seriously obsessed with the stuff. I rarely eat it for breakfast, preferring to stir it into baked goods. It adds a chewy goodness to cookies and cakes and a bit of crunch to muffins and crisps. Its addition instantly makes me feel like I’m being healthy by adding fiber and nutrients to my need for chocolate.
Maybe you’re tired of seeing me throw oatmeal and butter together or live vicariously through others who are doing it too. I don’t care. We’re in love and you can’t keep us apart.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter,, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla until well blended. Mix in flour mixture until incorporated. Remove from the stand mixer and with a wooden spoon fold in chocolate chips and oats.
- Shape the dough into 2 inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Flatten the balls to 1/2 inch thick. Bake until lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool slightly on the baking sheet before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.