Goat cheese and honey ice cream is a unique flavor that you can make at home! Tangy goat cheese pairs so well with sweet, creamy honey in this frozen dessert.
Homemade ice cream is all about the unique flavors for me. Why go through all that work if you are just going to get something you could grab at the grocery store?
Goat cheese and honey is definitely one of those unique flavors. I was first exposed to it on a trip to Kansas City and I’ve been in love ever since.
It’s tangy, sweet, and a little crumbly (thanks to the goat cheese). I really love adding an extra drizzle of honey because frozen honey looks and tastes just like caramel!
Make sure you grab the plain goat cheese when you’re at the store. The last thing you want is a savory ice cream.
- Heavy cream
- Whole milk
- Goat cheese
How to make goat cheese and honey ice cream
- Combine cream, milk, and honey in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Heat until steaming, but not boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the goat cheese until it is completely melted and no lumps remain.
- Transfer the mixture to a gallon size zip top freezer bag and refrigerate until completely cold (a few hours or up to overnight).
- Transfer the ice cream to your ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe container (I used a Pyrex container) and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours.
Top tips and questions
Can I swap the honey in this recipe?
Different sweeteners react differently in recipes. Because honey is a main ingredient, I cannot recommend swapping it for a different sweetener such as sugar without extensive testing.
How long does homemade ice cream stay good?
This ice cream will last covered in the freezer for up to 4 days. After that it starts to lose some of it’s quality.
What kind of ice cream maker should I buy?
I used to use the KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment for my mixer, but the bowl started leaking and I replaced it with this Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker (affiliate link) and I’ve been very happy with it.
Is goat cheese vegetarian?
Most goat cheese is not technically vegetarian because it uses animal rennet. If this is important to you, look for a goat cheese made with vegetable rennet.
Tips for customizing goat cheese ice cream
- Add an extra drizzle of honey over the top
- Serve garnished with a slice of honeycomb
- Mix in fresh fruit such as raspberries, strawberries, or figs
- Use as a filling for an ice cream cookie sandwich
- Serve alongside the best chocolate cake
More frozen treats
- Pistachio Ice Cream
- Grape Nut Ice Cream
- Cherry Crisp Ice Cream
- Salty Caramel Ice Cream
- Gingerbread Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Strawberry Sorbet
- Cherry Frozen Yogurt Popsicles
- Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream
- Butter Pecan Ice Cream
- Cantaloupe Date Popsicles
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
If you make this recipe, be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Goat Cheese and Honey Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup honey
- 3-4 ounces soft goat cheese
- In a medium saucepan, combine cream, milk, and honey over medium heat. Heat until steaming but not boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the goat cheese until it is completely melted into the cream mixture and no lumps remain. Transfer the mixture to a 2 quart or larger covered storage container and refrigerate until completely cold, a few hours up to overnight.
- Churn the ice cream in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. Transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe container and store in the freezer until firm, at least two hours. Homemade ice cream is best enjoyed within a few days.