This Moist and Fluffy Cornbread is everything you’ve ever wanted in a cornbread recipe!
I love all things bread.
Quick breads. Hearty wheat breads. Soft and crusty Italian bread warm from the oven.
Probably the only bread I don’t like is the white sandwich bread that used to be the only thing I knew existed. It just seems too dull and sugary now.
Plain white bread aside, I’m not too picky on variety. Take cornbread for example. Cornbread is delightful with a crisp exterior, made in a cast iron skillet with lots of shortening. Its also delicious moist and fluffy made simply in a baking pan.
No lie, I lit my kitchen on fire once heating shortening for cornbread. I froze in fear, watching it burn for a while before remembering seeing how to put out such a fire on the shortening can (inconveniently located directly next to the flames).
I might stick with this moist and fluffy version. For everyone’s safety.
This moist and fluffy cornbread cooks up tall and is perfect straight from the oven or gently reheated later. I love butter and the occasional drizzle of honey on mine, but you might also try your favorite fruit jam. Its a great accompaniment for barbecue chicken or a hearty chili.
This recipe for moist and fluffy cornbread can be customized! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Add half a 4 ounce can of mild diced green chiles to the batter for a spicy version
- Double the recipe and bake in a 9×13 pan for the full 30 minutes
- Use leftover cornbread to make cornbread stuffing
- Add 1/2 cup of thawed frozen corn to the batter
Moist and Fluffy Cornbread
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Grease an 8 or 9 inch square baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add milk, oil, and egg and stir until just moistened. Fold in cheese. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.