Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Garlic are an easy vegan side dish that will make a lover out of anyone who thinks they don’t like brussels sprouts! Baked in the oven on a cast iron pan, these brussels sprouts come out crisp, delicious, and flavorful.
Are you ready for it? Are you ready to love balsamic brussels sprouts?
Brussels sprouts have to be near the top of the list of most hated vegetables. Hate them no more! We’re going to make them crisp, roasted, and full of garlic and balsamic flavor.
How to make roasted brussels sprouts
You start by trimming and halving a pound of brussels sprouts. That means cutting the stem bit off and then cutting them in half.
You’ll also need to peel about five cloves of garlic. A head of garlic is the white (or purplish) mound you purchase at the grocery store, a clove is one chunk broken off of the head.
I placed the flat side of a chef’s knife (<– affiliate link to a very reasonably priced one) against them and gave them a soft whack with the palm of my hand. It cracked them just enough to pull the skin away from the clove.
You’ll want to place the garlic and brussels sprouts neatly in the cast iron pan cut side down. If your oil is hot (and it should be) there will probably be some serious spitting going on.
Feel free to dump them all in at once and rearrange with a spoon, or not worry about it too much because they’ll still get delicious sitting cut side up. If your sprouts are wet from washing this will make the spitting worse, so consider laying them out on a clean towel to dry before adding to the oil.
Leave them be for a few minutes, then shake the pan and put it in the oven. Roast those brussels sprouts with garlic until they’re good and dark. The crispier the better.
When you pull them out add the vinegar and stir until it cooks off. Now you’re ready to fall in love with roasted brussels sprouts!
These balsamic roasted brussels sprouts with garlic can be customized! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Skip the balsamic if you’re not a fan, you’ll still have delicious cast iron pan roasted brussels sprouts
- Skip the garlic and balsamic, and finish with parmesan cheese, like in my roasted brussels sprouts with parmesan
- Reduce the garlic to two cloves, mince, and add to the pan in the last ten minutes of roasting
- Top finished sprouts with sesame seeds or a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes
If you make this recipe be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Garlic
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled, or more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Put the oil in a large oven safe skillet and heat on medium-high. When the oil shimmers but before it smokes, arrange the sprouts in one layer, cut side down. Add the garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, undisturbed, until the sprouts begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Move the pan to the oven and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the sprouts are very brown and tender, about 30 minutes.
- Drizzle with the vinegar and adjust seasoning as necessary. Stir and serve.