Quadruple Chocolate Chewy Brownies have that classic crackled top, plus four kinds of chocolate!
I have a brownie obsession. Obviously, everyone’s favorite brownie is one that comes in a box.
You just can’t improve on the hundreds of years of innovation that have given us the Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie. Deep down, though, I would like to feed my family a brownie that is exactly like Betty’s but without the terrible ingredients and inevitable gut rot that follows.
I have devoted much time and Pinterest activity to my obsession. I have given you classic brownies, gluten-free vegan brownies, chocolate chip zucchini brownies, and caramel brownies. This time? We’ve really hit the jackpot.
These Quadruple Chocolate Chewy Brownies are exactly what I’ve been looking for all long. They have a soft and chewy crumb without being underbaked.
Four kinds of chocolate keep you intrigued while pleasuring the senses. I think it was a low protein intake for the day that prompted me to add walnuts to this recipe.
It wasn’t a terrible choice, but for personal preference perfection I would probably leave them out next time. They’re just so chewwwwwy. I would rather not interrupt the brownie perfection with a healthy, crunchy nut.
I was concerned there would be a grainy texture from the 2 ½ cups of granulated sugar (ohhhhh my gosh) in this recipe. However, it wasn’t grainy and was balanced nicely with the other ingredients and dark chocolate to become dangerously imperceptible.
If you make this recipe, be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Quadruple Chocolate Chewy Brownies
- ⅓ cup Dutch-processed cocoa
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- Place an oven rack on the lowest position and preheat to 350ºF. Line a 9×13 baking pan with foil and spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cocoa and boiling water until smooth. Add unsweetened chocolate and whisk until melted. Whisk in oil and melted butter (the mixture may look curdled). Add eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla and whisk until smooth and homogenous. Whisk in sugar until fully incorporated. Add flour and salt and fold into batter with a rubber spatula. Add bittersweet and semisweet chips and walnuts and fold gently until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 1 ½ hours.
- Use the foil to remove the brownies from the pan and return the brownies to the wire rack to cool completely, about 1 hour. Cut and serve. Brownies will last in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.