These Refrigerator Bakery Brownies are everything you love about your favorite bakery brownie!
If you love thick, frosted bakery brownies, you’re in for a real treat!
I’ve always loved bakery brownies. They’re firm and cold from sitting in the refrigerated case and taste of deep, intense chocolate.
I couldn’t believe how much these refrigerated brownies tasted like this treat from my local food co-op. It turns out making your own at home isn’t hard at all!
Fridge brownies are best enjoyed straight out of the refrigerator, like their real-life bakery cousins. Seriously though, who can wait for brownies to cool before eating one?
Enjoy one gooey and delicious right after frosting, then tuck them away in the refrigerator for the next day. The frosting will firm up and the flavors will develop.
Here you can see a brownie freshly frosted. It is still dense but the frosting is soft and melty. Totally edible. Of course you don’t have to frost the brownies at all, but I’m kind of insisting that you do.
Tips for customizing your refrigerator bakery brownies:
- Add a dash of instant coffee to the mix
- Fold chopped walnuts into the batter
- Replace the semi-sweet chocolate chips in the brownie batter with white or dark chocolate chips
- Use a gluten-free flour mix to make them gluten-free
If you make this recipe be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Refrigerator Bakery Brownies
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and place a rack in the upper third of the oven. Grease and flour an 8 inch square baking pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a boil. In a medium, heatproof bowl, add butter and unsweetened chocolate. Place the bowl over, but not touching, the simmering water and allow to melt, stirring occasionally to incorporate. Once the butter and chocolate have melted, remove the bowl from the simmering pot and whisk in the brown and granulated sugar. Whisk in the egg, yolk, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture all at once and fold into the chocolate mixture with a spatula until well incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare the frosting, place chocolate chips and butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 20 second increments, stirring in between, until melted. Whisk in the vanilla and salt, then stir in the powdered sugar. Add the milk a few drops at a time, whisking briskly, until the frosting is smooth and shiny. Spread immediately on the cooled brownies. Refrigerate until the frosting is set and you are ready to serve. Brownies will keep wrapped tightly in plastic wrap for up to 5 days.