Vegetarian Potato Skin Egg Boats make an easy brunch or breakfast for dinner!
Can our brunch food be both fancy and basic at the same time? I think yes.
We have two amazing things happening here. One is crispy potato skins. Like, your favorite football food but you get to eat it for breakfast. Second is this runny egg situation.
I know the eggs are done just right when I give the pan a little jiggle and see that yolk wobble, but not much of the white around it. If everything is jiggling, you likely need more time. If you prefer your eggs firm throughout, wait until there’s no wobble at all.
This all happens within a matter of minutes towards the end, so err on the side of caution, set an early timer, and then keep an eye on things from there.
You can save yourself some time by baking the potatoes up ahead of time. This will also keep you from burning your fingers while trying to scoop out the hot flesh.
I also think this would be a lovely camping meal, although I haven’t tried it. You could cook the potatoes on the grill, then add fried or scrambled eggs, or bring pre-cooked potatoes from home.
These vegetarian potato skin egg boats are easy to customize! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- If runny eggs freak you out, whisk all the eggs together in a bowl with a splash of heavy cream, then divide evenly among the potato skins for more of an omelette consistency
- Before adding the cheese, layer in your favorite meat or meat substitute such as canadian bacon or tofurkey chorizo
- Sprinkle the finished eggs with chopped scallions, everything bagel seasoning, or drizzle with your favorite hot sauce or sriracha
- Use sweet potatoes in place of the russet potatoes
- For a vegan version, make the potato skins, then top with tofu scramble, no additional baking required
If you make this recipe be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I make a small commission off the sale, which helps me continue providing you recipes!
Vegetarian Potato Skin Egg Boats
- 4 russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- Fresh or dried chives
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Place potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and pierce each one a few times with a fork. Bake 45-60 minutes or until tender when pierced with a sharp knife.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool enough to handle. Increase the oven temperature to 475ºF. Using a serrated knife, slice each potato in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh, leaving about 1/4 inch of potato around the edge. Brush both sides lightly with olive oil and bake cut side down for 16 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375ºF. Season the inside of the potato skins with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika to taste. Divide cheese evenly amongst the potatoes, then carefully crack one egg into each. Sprinkle with chopped chives.
- Return the potatoes to the oven and bake until the yolks jiggle slightly but the whites of the eggs are set, about 17 minutes. Begin checking for doneness around 14 minutes. Serve with your favorite hot sauce or sriracha.