These Mediterranean Eggs make a flavorful lazy breakfast or simple supper!
I have kind of a love/hate relationship with eggs.
I like the flavor and they’re a great protein source. There’s something about the texture though that freaks me out.
Maybe I’ve been ruined on squeaky scrambled eggs. But still, a runny yolk freaks me out. Even though I know it’s probably fine and dandy and delicious. Eggs are just… weird.
This is maybe an unpopular opinion, but my favorite egg yolk texture is thick and creamy. Not hard and yellow, not crazy runny, but juuuuust right in the middle.
These mediterranean eggs are a flavor and texture powerhouse. It all starts with some caramelized onions. They take time, but not a lot of work. Get them going, then give them a stir every ten minutes or so while you go do something else.
Once your onions are nice and caramelized, add some sun dried tomatoes, garlic, eggs and feta. Let the eggs cook to your liking (runny yolks if that’s your style). I like to put my finished eggs on a crusty ciabatta roll or a slice of whole grain bread for a little sandwich heaven.
These Mediterranean Eggs can be customized! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Add one chopped roasted red pepper with the garlic and sun-dried tomatoes
- If you already have caramelized onions on hand, omit the oil and butter and layer all ingredients in a 8×8 baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cook in a 400ºF oven until the yolks barely jiggle.
- Swap the parsley for freshly chopped oregano, or a combination of the two
- Cook the onions, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes as directed and serve with poached or scrambled eggs and feta
- Serve alongside my oven roasted potatoes
These eggs are perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner. They’re super savory and a favorite of mine. What’s your favorite way to eat eggs?
If you make this recipe be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
- 4-5 small or 1 1/2 large yellow onions halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/3 cup firmly packed julienne cut sun dried tomatoes
- 6-8 large eggs
- 3 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Parsley optional, finely chopped
- Ciabatta rolls optional
- In a large cast iron or stainless steel skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Once the butter is melted add the onions to the pan and stir gently to coat in the butter and oil, arranging them in an even layer. Reduce the heat so the onions just barely sizzle. Allow the onions to cook, stirring every 5 to 10 minutes, until they are soft and a deep brown color, about one hour.
- Add garlic and sun dried tomatoes and cook, stirring, for about 1-3 minutes or until fragrant. Arrange the mixture in an even layer in the pan, then carefully crack eggs over the top. Sprinkle with crumbled feta, salt, and pepper. Cover with a tight fitting lid and allow to cook undisturbed for 10-15 minutes. Watch the eggs carefully in the last few minutes as the yolks change quickly. You can check yolk doneness by jiggling the pan. Runny yolks will jiggle slightly while firm yolks shouldn’t move at all.
- Remove pan from the heat and sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired. Serve on crusty ciabatta rolls.