My mind is all over the place.
I actually took a picture the other day that depicts pretty well what the inside of my head looks like. Those puzzle pieces on the floor? They’re every little thing I’m trying to get done. That food on the table? That is this blog, continuing to be a completely self-imposed importance in my life. The baby in the corner? One of several that has so. many. demands. I remember reading somewhere that children are like little terrorists and if anyone else treated you the way they do they would be arrested. So true!
Despite my brain scatter, dinner is of the utmost importance. This recipe has existed up in my scatter brain for a few years now. I didn’t grab it out of a cookbook or off of a blog, its just something I throw together out of memory whenever I’m craving something I can eat with rice. I’m not a huge fan of the word savory but, wow, if there is one food in the world that epitomizes the word savory it is these egg rolls. They’re perfectly crispy without being fried and the beans, veggies, and spices all marry together perfectly into the most satisfying bite.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ½ - 1 whole jalapeno, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Juice from ½ a lime
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese
- 10 egg roll wrappers
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and green onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the jalapeno, cumin, chili powder, and salt and continue to cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add the black beans and corn and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with lime juice and add cheese. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- On a clean work surface, lay out one egg roll wrapper in the shape of a diamond. Place 2 tablespoons of filling in the center and moisten the top corner of the diamond with water. Fold one corner up over the filling, fold in the sides, and roll tightly to the top. Place seam side down on the prepared baking sheet and continue with the remaining filling and wrappers. Spray the top of the egg rolls with cooking spray or brush lightly with olive oil.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy, flipping once, about 20 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.