Black Bean and Butternut Squash Quesadillas are a healthy, cheesy, savory dream come true!
This is another long-time favorite recipe that I shared in my early days of blogging. In case you’ve forgotten early days of blogging = all the best recipes and all the worst photos.
These black bean and butternut squash vegetarian quesadillas are the most savory, comforting, healthy thing you’ll eat this week. I could eat butternut squash on just about anything, but when you mix it with spicy salsa and gooey cheese it’s on a whole other level.
I feel like there’s no way these quesadillas are in any way authentically Mexican, but does that stop them from being delicious? No way. I’ve made some out there Mexican food choices before, and they always come out the best.
The butternut squash is so incredibly creamy, and the black beans give these quesadillas plenty of protein. That’s what makes this one of my favorite meatless meal ideas for a busy weeknight.
If you don’t want to make butternut squash puree you can use roasted butternut squash cubes or even just mash up some cooked butternut squash.
I always make these quesadillas (and a million other things) on my Presto Griddle (<– affiliate link) because it makes it easy to cook a few at a time. You could also make them on a stovetop griddle or in a skillet.
I love serving vegetarian quesadillas with sour cream, avocado, and even more salsa (here’s my personal favorite salsa for adding to recipes) on the side.
Ideas to customize your vegetarian quesadillas:
- Use salsa verde as the salsa
- Swap the butternut squash puree for sweet potato puree
- Swap the black beans for cooked shredded chicken or pork if cooking for a meat eater
- Use corn tortillas in place of flour tortillas for a gluten-free option
- Leave out the cheese to make it vegan
- Add a layer of guacamole on top of the squash
More butternut squash recipes
- Butternut Squash Risotto
- Vegetarian Enchiladas with Butternut Squash and Black Beans
- Butternut Squash Pasta
- Butternut Squash and Sage Pesto
Do you have an unusual Mexican recipe that you love? I need more salsa in my life, so share it in the comments!
Black Bean and Butternut Squash Quesadillas
- 8 taco size flour tortillas
- 2 cups cheddar and monterey jack cheese mix
- 1 cup butternut squash puree
- 15 ounces black beans,, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa,, or to taste
- Spray a large griddle or skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Working in batches as necessary, place one tortilla on the griddle and spread with ¼ cup squash. Sprinkle with ¼ cup cheese. Add a quarter of the black beans and drizzle with about 3 tablespoons of salsa. Top with another ¼ cup cheese and finish with a tortilla.
- Heat 5 minutes per side or until browned and crispy as desired. Transfer to a plate and use a pizza cutter to slice into wedges. Serve hot with sour cream, avocado, and lime.