These Apple Spice Muffins are a sweet and spicy way to start your day! Spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, blended with unsweetened apple sauce, they’re a great fall breakfast to enjoy with your favorite morning drink.
If I had to survive on only one breakfast treat for the rest of my life (oh, what a world) it might be these apple spice muffins.
Cinnamon rolls are too much work, and biscotti might as well be stale bread. Muffins give you that fresh baked bread smell, without all the kneading and rising. They can be customized a million different ways, making them a truly easy breakfast treat.
You are going to enjoy these apple spice muffins. A simple and straightforward recipe that is perfect for those who might not like soft chunks of fruit, or decadent chocolate in their morning meal. Made with applesauce rather than whole apples, the apple flavor couldn’t be any easier to achieve.
It’s worth the time to brown the butter, as it pairs up with the whole wheat flour and the pecans for a nice, nutty flavor. Sweet earthy flavors of cinnamon and allspice harmonize with the applesauce, while brown sugar keeps things soft and apple-pie like.
Apple spice muffins have a top that is crispy and sweet, almost like a cookie. Big pecans studded throughout, and coarse sugar on top give these muffins a nice crunch factor.
How to make easy apple muffins
- Brown butter over medium heat
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl
- Whisk wet ingredients in a separate bowl, adding butter a little at a time.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients until just blended, then fold in nuts. Top with coarse sugar and extra pecans if desired.
- Bake in a muffin pan coated with non-stick spray or paper liners, then allow to cool completely.
How to customize your apple spice muffins
- Swap the pecans for walnuts
- Drizzle with the vanilla icing from my banana bundt cake
- Whisk together a bit of coconut milk and powdered sugar until thick and creamy, then drizzle over cooled muffins
- Use vegan browned butter and flax eggs to keep make it vegan apple spice muffins.
- Use a gluten-free flour blend to make them gluten-free
Other apple recipes to try
- Apple Spice Overnight Oats
- Honey and Apple Goat Cheese Appetizer
- Applesauce Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
If you make this recipe be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Apple Spice Muffins
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- Raw or coarse sugar, (optional)
- Place an oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 400ºF. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line with paper liners.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Keep an eye on it, stirring frequently, allowing it to cook down until the butter foams, crackles, and begins to brown. Remove from the heat and pour into a small bowl to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt. In another large bowl, whisk together eggs and brown sugar until well combined. Add the slightly cooled butter, a little at a time, until creamy. Stir in applesauce. Fold the wet ingredients into the flour mixture until just moistened, then gently fold in the nuts. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups and top with raw or coarse sugar and more pecan pieces if desired.
- Bake in the preheated oven until puffed and golden, about 20 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes, then remove to cool completely. These are best eaten the day they are made.