These Zucchini Muffins are moist, tender, and studded with chocolate chips!
I’m sure I’m not the only person who is obsessed with summer produce.
Maybe you live in California and are able to get fresh produce year round. I hate you, only because I want to be you. In the three weeks of actual summer here in Wisconsin you can find me at the farmer’s market. There is one practically every day of the week in a different location, and even if I don’t buy anything it can be a really fun place to take the kids. They like seeing all the fruits and vegetables and picking out something fresh. Occasionally they can even snag some healthy samples.
One thing you can always find in my farmer’s market bag is zucchini. These healthy veggies grow in abundance and I know people are always looking for a way to use them up. If I can’t find a use right away (think chocolate chip zucchini bread, zucchini brownies, or zucchini banana chocolate chip muffins) I’ll shred them, measure them, and stick them in the freezer.
The other day I found some zucchini in the freezer and couldn’t wait to use it up, making room for some fresh stuff in the months to come. Yes, its spring now, despite the freezing weather we’re having.
Believe it or not I was able to keep these pretty simple. They’re not too sweet, making them perfect for those who don’t like sweets at breakfast. I even served some (without chocolate chips) alongside my crispy quinoa bake for dinner. The chocolate chips are entirely optional, I just believe all quick breads and muffins should have chocolate in them.
As much fun as it is going to the farmer’s market I’d love to grow my own vegetables. Dare I plant a vegetable garden this year? I have not had success in the past. Please share with me any advice you might have.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup shredded zucchini
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips, (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl combine milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and eggs. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and stir together quickly with a rubber scraper. Its ok if there are still a few dry spots. Gently fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips, if desired, until everything is combined.
- Divide evenly amongst the muffin cups. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool briefly in the pan before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.