These Big Batch Cardamom Ricotta Pancakes with Strawberry Chia Jam are ideal for feeding a big family or for serving at brunch.
It’s strawberry season and I’m not even sorry.
I know I already shared the most beautiful strawberry recipe earlier this week, but if you’re anything like me when you go strawberry picking you go strawberry picking. And by that I mean you buy more strawberries than you could possibly know what to do with. Except now we do!
I’m not going to lie, this recipe makes a lot of pancakes. I have a big family, and maybe you do to. Or maybe you like making pancakes once and having them waiting for you in the freezer so you can feel a little fancy on a Tuesday morning, popping one in the microwave before running the kids off to school. Or maybe you like having people over for brunch but you don’t know what to serve. Big Batch Cardamom Ricotta Pancakes to the rescue!
Not only are these ricotta pancakes for a crowd, the strawberry chia jam makes a huge portion as well. Freshly picked strawberries are highly recommended here. If your berries are hard and a little yellow, you may yield different results and need fewer chia seeds. If chia weirds you out or costs too much, please feel free to leave off the jam or use store bought! I just love how healthy and simple this homemade version is.
This recipe is easy to customize! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Use leftover jam in pb&j’s, spread on toast, or swirl it into your yogurt
- Spread pancakes with nut butter, top with a dollop of jam, and top with another pancakes for a peanut butter jammy pancake sandwich
- Go really over the top and put whipped cream on top of the pancakes before topping with jam
- Halve both recipes for a normal sized batch
- If serving for a party place cooked pancakes on a baking sheet and keep warm in a 200ºF oven
If you make this recipe be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Are you following along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram? If those aren’t your thing you can subscribe to The Live-In Kitchen to have new posts delivered straight to your email.
Big Batch Cardamom Ricotta Pancakes with Strawberry Chia Jam
Cardamom Ricotta Pancakes
- 2 1/4 cups ricotta cheese, (I prefer whole milk ricotta)
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs,, separated
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- butter,, for the skillet
- maple syrup,, optional
To make the pancakes
- Heat a griddle or skillet to 325ºF.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together ricotta, milk, and egg yolks.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder cardamom, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring until everything is just moistened.
- In another medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, carefully fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Lightly butter the hot skillet and ladle batter into small circles. Allow to bake 1-2 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Remove from the skillet and repeat as necessary. Top pancakes with strawberry chia jam and/or pure maple syrup if desired.
To make the jam
- Place the strawberries in a medium pot over medium heat and allow to cook down, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes. The strawberries should release a lot of liquid and become soft.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and maple syrup. Add the chia seeds and stir until thoroughly incorporated.
- Allow the mixture to rest for 5 minutes. It should thicken up and look like jam. Serve immediately or transfer to a jar and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.